Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Latest Soap Making Session



I thought it might be interesting to post some pictures of my soap making session from the weekend. The first picture is of all my oils melted down just before I add my lye/water mix. The second picture is just after I combined the water/lye mix into the oils. Notice that it turns more opaque at this point. I mix it up with the wooden spoon and then with a handblender until it "traces" or looks like a semi thick pudding mix. Then add my colours, scents, botanicals etc... and pour into wooden molds. The soap cures in the molds for 24 hours. The last picture is of all the soap loaves I made on the weekend. I will let these cure for a couple days and then cut the soap into bars. The bars will cure for 4 weeks before they are ready for use and the pH is between 7 & 8. These loaves will procuce 77 bars of soap!!

2 comments:

MyHandboundBooks said...

that's really cool!

Bette said...

great pics, shannon. i love making soap and haven't for awhile. you gave me a little "taste" through your blog post. thanks. :D